Saturday 8 March 2014

My white bosses taught me how to smoke — 82-year-old retired soldier

Eighty-two-year-old Anthony Adibe shares the story of his life with OZIOMA UBABUKOH
What was your childhood like?
I was born in 1932 at Oboama, Ezinihitte Mbaise Local Government Area of Imo State. I was born into the family of the late Mr. Christopher Adibe Umunnakwe and late Mrs. Eunice Adibe Umunnakwe. They were both Christians, my father was a farmer while my mother was a trader. I attended St. Anthony’s Primary School, Oboama-na-Umunama in Ezinihitte. I was a footballer in my school. I was also a member of the Boys Scout. I love the parade and sporting activities of the Boys Scout. I also love their sense of discipline. These were what made me to join the group. I developed interest in boxing too because I like action.
I was also one of the best cowboys in those days in Lagos. The late T.O.S Benson was the leader of the cowboys in Lagos. He made sure we did what was right. We were always moving around town to ensure peace and orderliness just like the Boys Scout. We worked together with the police and that was how we gained access to wherever the police entered. The colonial masters knew about us. The changing face of the country affected the existence of the cowboys. I doubt if they are still in existence today.
Tell us about your siblings
I have two brothers and two sisters. My late sister was named Elizabeth and my other sister is named Rose. My younger brother, Joe lives with his family in Lagos while the other one lives at Aba, Abia State.
How was it like being raised by a trader and farmer?  
It was interesting. Our parents provided whatever we needed. They were not harsh and they pampered us. We helped them when they went to the market; we assisted them to carry goods to where they could transport them to the market. Whenever they returned, we assisted them to bring back the unsold items. Sadly, while growing up, we used to drink water from the pond and that made many people in our community have guinea worm. Even when we went to school, many pupils who had contracted the disease were always limping to school.  The government eventually came to our rescue and today, it is a thing of the past.
After your primary education, what did you do?
I went to live with one of my in-laws in Lagos. He was working for the white people. I stayed with him and later, he started teaching me how to work for English people. After sometime, I was employed by some Americans in Lagos.
What was the experience working with the Americans?
I was cooking for them. Some among them were friendly while others were wicked, especially the women among them.
Did you have any nasty experience with any of them? 
Yes. It was when I worked for a Briton. He tried to humiliate me but I showed him that I am a Nigerian. I left him unexpectedly when he had some guests and needed me to cook for them. I disappointed him when he least expected that I would leave him. I did that to teach him a lesson.
What did he do to you?
The wife troubled me so much by giving me hard work. They wouldn’t allow me receive visitors. They also disliked a married person working for them. They said they didn’t want children to make a noise in their compound.  When I left him suddenly, the white man had to take his guests to Ikoyi Hotel because there was nobody in the house to cook and serve them. He spent a lot of money on his guests there.
What lesson did you learn from working with the whites?        
I learnt how to be neat and punctual.  The white people love honest people. They cherish honesty a lot. One of my American masters even tried to teach me how to drive. But some officers of the Nigerian police messed up the whole exercise that day. They arrested my American master and I. They   said we didn’t have a learner’s permit.
Where was your last place of work?
My last place of work was at National Cereals Research Institute. I was transferred from Ibadan to Amakama in Umuahia, Abia State in 1981.  I left active public service in 1984.
Why did you stop working for the white people?
The civil war caused it.  I was working for one John Civis, who was the American Information Officer then. He fed the US information about Nigeria. His wife was from India. They treated me like their brother. The man was even planning to take me to the US before the war broke out. But I couldn’t travel with him because of my aged parents at home in the East then.
What was your experience during the war?
Nigeria changed terribly with the outbreak of the civil war. We were in Lagos at the time but we quickly had to pack our belongings and fled to the East. When I saw the rate at which the Igbos and other Eastern Nigerians were being killed in the northern part of Nigeria, I decided to join the army. No one forced me into the army; I voluntarily joined the Biafran army. I felt I couldn’t be sitting idly at home while our people were being killed. Some of us fought gallantly with hope that Nigeria would be better after the war but things didn’t turn out to be so.
Would you say the civil war was a curse or blessing?
Honestly, I will say it was a curse. Nigeria cannot survive another war.
How many children do you have?              
I had five but only three are alive – two boys and a girl. The others died.
What do they do?
They are working. They have wives and children. My only daughter, Mary lives in Niger State where she works in a federal establishment.
How did you meet your wife?
It was when I returned home from Lagos. There was this girl teaching in our school that I wanted to marry. The girl was from a neighbouring town called Amaukwu Ihittee. But my parents rejected her because our people do not marry from that particular community for some reasons. My father then said they would find a wife for me. They promised to get me somebody from a good family. They later got Rose Nwanyimma (nee Adiukwu). She is from Ezuhu Nguru in Aboh Mbaise council area of Imo State. She is from the same family with the owner of ABC Transport, Mr. Frank Nneji. Before I met her, I left my picture with my parents and travelled back to Lagos. Thereafter, my parents got her photograph and posted it to me. That was how we met. We never had a formal meeting as such.  It was more of a photo arrangement.
She now stays with our only daughter in Niger State. She insisted she should come over after the celebration of our 50 years of marriage.
Do you miss her absence?
Yes, I do. In fact, despite having two daughter in-laws taking care of me since she travelled, I still feel her absence. Almost every day, I call her on phone and we talk.
How did you celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary?
We called children, friends and relations from far and wide to felicitate with us. It was a modest event and we were all grateful to God for sparing our lives. The day meant honour which the Catholic Church gives to a couple whose matrimony lasted that long. The truth is that one has to mature very well before such honour or award is given to one. It is a kind of blessing which the Catholic Bishop of the Diocese, taking order from the  Vatican in Rome, will give a couple whose wedding  has lasted 50 years or more. A man whose marriage lasts that long is seen as a blessed person. In some cases, either the husband or wife would have died before their marriage attains 50 years. That means only one partner is going to celebrate, and it won’t be a full blessing. We thank God that regardless of all the hardship and sickness, we witnessed the ceremony.
What is your advice to couples?
My advice is that any husband who is still living with his wife should ensure that he lives peacefully with her. They should try to live in harmony. It is important. They should continue to ask God to enable them witness 50 years of marriage. It is not an easy feat and one cannot bribe God to have such.  God does things the way He wants it. Our children cooperate very well with us. They don’t give us any problems. There are partners that die before reaching 50 years of marriage.
With your children all grown up, how do you keep yourself busy?
I exercise by walking across the town and villages. I read books on the civil war and watch war films. I also read newspapers. That is how I keep myself busy.
What is your favourite meal?
I love egusi soup with fufu or akpu (pounded cassava).
Do you smoke?
I smoked in the past. I smoked any type of cigarette. I started smoking because the English people I worked with always gave me cigarettes. They introduce me to smoking.
So why did you stop the habit?
I stopped because of old age and ill health. My doctor advised me to stop the habit.
What kind of drinks do you like?
When I was with the English people, I was drinking anything drinkable. But now I prefer palm wine.
What are the things you dislike?
I can’t cope with liars. I dislike unnecessary argument.
Who are your friends?
I have friends in the Christian groups. I also have friends among my age grade and we often play together.

No comments:

Post a Comment