Thursday 27 February 2014

To my brother, 30 years after – Being tribute to the late Chief Olubunmi Aboderin

With 10 years between us, you were already in the boarding house at Ibadan Grammar School by the time I became fully conscious of my environment and circumstances.
And it was about the time when I entered secondary school that you departed Ibadan to read accountancy in England.
On your return, you worked in Lagos, as a qualified Chartered Accountant of England and Wales; at that time would have worked only in Lagos.
I was then at the University of Ibadan and, four months after graduation and some teaching at your old school, I, too, left for London.
Those comings and goings did not allow for as much interaction between us as I would have wished during my early years.
Had I entered the world earlier, I probably would, as a kid, have smelt you long enough to imbibe more of your exceptional boyish exuberance, your unusual freedom with money, and your spirit of joie de vivre, even as it would have been impossible for me to acquire your impressive physical stamina and stockiness which contributed to your being a good footballer at school.
I still remember furtively enjoying and swallowing what I later came to recognise as dangerous quantities of your “Macleans”, as I revelled in the taste of the product. The word “toothpaste” had not yet entered my vocabulary at the time of which I am speaking, as I had only just started primary school. Everyone else in the house, except the secondary school boy, still used the superior, native “chewing stick”, and mother particularly preferred the yellow, tangy genre, the orin ata.
Every six-year-old must have seen some adult or colleague quaffing gari with sugar, with the better-off ones sometimes adding Peak milk; but it was from you that I first learnt the simple delicacy of ewa mixed with sugar, and because granulated sugar had not yet become popular, the cubes had to be crushed in advance except when the meal was hot enough to melt them.
Your inability, from youth, to tolerate the smell of oranges, I casually explained away by the fact that Iya Agba, our maternal grandmother, once sold tobacco snuff which she fervently believed would be rendered ineffective if contaminated by orange, and therefore discouraged having oranges around her. It was later, much later in life, that a probable explanation of your reaction surfaced: citrus fruits allergy.
I never told you how the mere thought of that your right shin bone injury while splitting firewood at the backyard of the house kept me depressed and frightened for days on end. The wound eventually healed, of course, but your scar never completely disappeared.
That was Oranyan, your years of adolescence.
While working at my actuarial examinations in London, your visits there were for me moments of special delight particularly while I was still single and solitary as I greatly enjoyed and appreciated your taking me along to visit your friends; to watch the “latest” musical films at the cinema; and to excellent, sometimes exotic, meals at your favourite hotel, the Royal Lancaster. And after I got married, Iyabo could be numbered among your fans.
But it was the outbreak of the Punch shareholders’ crisis of which you were the central victim and your attendant, high voltage, psychological trauma that gave rise to our closest emotional attachment.
It is at the time of tribulations that a man knows his true and loyal supporters. You needed as much psychological anchor and independent ideas analysis as you could get, and in that, led by Chief Moyo, I hope we did our best. I visited you with far greater frequency than before, and the depth of omo iya elements that attended our discussions and interactions was far greater than it had ever been.
Why was this dispute among the shareholders so critical to your fortunes? Well, because, as the chairman and single largest shareholder (before and after your own proportion came under dispute), believing that your business and social image and stature were tied to the fortunes of the newspaper, you had pledged substantial assets with the banks to support the company, while no other member of the company had pledged his own. An unravelling of Punch could lead to your own unravelling.
And, meanwhile, because Punch was perceived as an opposition newspaper by the federal authorities, the company and other companies in which you had controlling interest were starved of “import licences”, an arrangement adopted by the government at that time to ration foreign currency among importers, thus jeopardising the viability of your companies.
These pointed daggers notwithstanding, I was confident, we were confident that, with your aggressive business acumen; your innate, unbounded optimism; your ability to sniff money where others could not; your zest for life and living, you would pull through.
No one could have foretold that what you were experiencing were merely the opening stanza of a deeper, more sinister tragedy, which would not only hit your family severely, but would also alter the course of my own life.
The stress and the strain of the period compromised your vital immunity; you then succumbed to a terminal disease of the lymphatic system, through which you eventually succumbed.
Now, today, 30 years after, what can we say?
All we have to say is that the storms and the floods are over, and it’s a different world.

No comments:

Post a Comment